Author Topic: Control Room measurement with impulse response  (Read 2672 times)

lunamassimo

• View Profile
Control Room measurement with impulse response
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:39 »
hi

i usually perform PA measurement for system tuning (eqing and time alignment), so i am familiar mainly with the MAT module of SAtlive. i'm going to perform in the next future measurement of one or two control rooms for acoustic treatment purpose, so i am interested in the modal (LF standing waves inthe room), and full range frequency decay aspect of the Room (RT60 etc). So i probably would go for the impulse respense module of Satlive.

what i want ask to you is:

Which is the best way to view those aspect through impulse responce?

which input signal i should use as stimulus?

what can i use as audio signal source?? (nearfield monitor, specialpurpose full range speaker etc etce)

which the preferred software settings??
thanks for your knowledge and your time...

and best christmas wishes to everybody

Massimo

TomyN

• Administrator
  • Master of SATlive
    • View Profile
    • SATlive Homepage
Re: Control Room measurement with impulse response
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 19:29 »
Hi,

thanks for the x-mas wishes.

The IR module is the place for room measurement. Normaly you're interessted in the parameters which occur in reallive, so using real-live speaker(s) on real-live positions would be the way I'd prefer.
If your interessted in room-acoustics only, you should use a linear - unidirectional speaker (which in fact is archived only using special room-measurement speakers).
As a rule of thumb, you should use a long impulse response to get the best quality. I'd use a sweep-signal in this case or a chirp if there is no problem with external noise.
The RTA60 paramters give you a broad-band information. To get a better information about single frequencies, just select only the tail of the impulseresponse and perform a FFT with this data.

Tomy
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Thomas Neumann
SIM-II Operator
DANTE Level1 certified