Author Topic: SATLive and SAC setup: Sharing an Asio Driver  (Read 3303 times)

Jeffsco

• View Profile
SATLive and SAC setup: Sharing an Asio Driver
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:32 »
This is driving me nuts. I have a laptop that I use as a small SAC (Software Audio Console) mixing rig. I want to be able to set up SATLive to run together with SAC n order to set up my PA. I have  a RME Digiface that I use with the Laptop. It has the Totalmix software running in the background. with it...i know you can do extensive internal routings provided you are not using the same Asio devices.

If someone has had success setting up Totalmix, SAC and SATlive to route and operate successfully, could they please share exactly / step by step..how they did it. I've spent WAY too many hours and have only been able to get the Pink noise into Totalmix. If you've been successful...please elaborate on how you set SATLive and what Asio devices you turned on/off in SAC.

Thanks

TomyN

• Administrator
  • Master of SATlive
    • View Profile
    • SATlive Homepage
Re: SATLive and SAC setup: Sharing an Asio Driver
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02 »
Hi,

well, the original definition of ASIO (by Steinberg) states: only one device (i.e. only one ASIO driver running) and one software at the same time.
Some drivers might support multi-clients (different software accessing the device at the same time) other will not.

Did you try to use a different driver model in SATlive, which will reduce the amount of inputs available, but it worked fine for me in some situations.

Because my SAC is based on motu, I could not give you more detailed hints for RME.

Tomy
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Thomas Neumann
SIM-II Operator
DANTE Level1 certified

mfunke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 18:26 »
You may try this here: http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48
I just found it after reading your post. Never tried it out. May be helpful for you.

Best regards

Jeffsco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 22:42 »
The RME does support Multiclient usage. You just have to make sure that you do not share 2 devices between the 2 clients. I do this with Windows Media Player or Foobar 2000. I specify that Foobar use the #23 Output channel on the Digiface or Raydat RME card. In SAC...you make sure that the #23 output device is "unassigned" this then allows you to feed the Media player output directly into any one of the SAC input devices / channels.

I'd like to be able to run both SAC and SATLive from the same computer at the same time. I'd like to be able to feed the Test Signal / Pink Noise directly into SAC internally, and then to use the ADA preamp as the Measurement Mic return and feed the signal directly back into SATLive. The RME Totalmix software allows you to route things internally as well.

Maybe that sheds some light.  (I've got SATLive up and running via a separate computer and a Presonus Audiobox interface...i just wanted to try to streamline things by only using 1 computer...)

TomyN

• Administrator
  • Master of SATlive
    • View Profile
    • SATlive Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:08 »
Hi,

thanks for the details.

The mic-input should be not problem, but currently I do not know how to manage the internal output-signal split.
In addition, the internal routing will cause different internal delays for both signals.

Tomy
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Thomas Neumann
SIM-II Operator
DANTE Level1 certified

Jeffsco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 14:38 »
Ahhh...hadn't considered the different delay's. Ok then...no worries. I have several  netbooks set up as SAC Remotes. I'll use one of them to connect to the Presonus and just go that route. All good.

thanks Tomy.