Author Topic: Music Spectrum Analysis as per Ozone 5  (Read 2550 times)

Jeffsco

• View Profile
Music Spectrum Analysis as per Ozone 5
« on: June 22, 2012, 23:03 »
I have been playing with the demo of Izotope's Ozone 5..specifically, I've been using the Match EQ function. With it...I can run a piece of music thru it, such as a snippet of the guitar intro to a particular song. I then record myself playing the same lines. You then get Ozone to "Match the EQ". The software analyzes the difference between the EQ Spectrum of the original recording and what you are playing and shows you what EQ curve needs to be added to the part you are playing in order to make the sonic tonality match the original recording. In playing with it, I've had great success in dialing in my Guitar Tone  to match that of a lot of great songs.

The think is...as you run the piece of music thru Ozone....the Spectrum / frequency curve gradually rises into the average frequency content of the sample you are anaylyzing.....and holds at that point so you can really look at what's happening tonally. I don't think it's performing as an RTA..cause it seems to be averaging over time.

My question is...can SATLive do the same thing? Can I get the frequency spectrum to average out  and hold after analyzing a piece of music? I have no trouble getting SATLive to show me what's happening in real time but the rise and fall and crest of the frequency happens to fast.

Any insight would be appreciated.  This is the Izotope Website if you want to explore it further....   http://izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

TomyN

• Administrator
  • Master of SATlive
    • View Profile
    • SATlive Homepage
Re: Music Spectrum Analysis as per Ozone 5
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29 »
Hi,

you can archive a similar behavior in SATlive using the first measurement as mic reference.

- Select MAT -> FFT

- Select the input you want to record.

- Set Averaging to ADD (Popupmenu)

- To start 'recording' reset the average-memory ('Reset' in the left menu bar or the key 'R' on the keyboard).

- When done, save the trace

- Go to tools -> miccorection -> load mic correction

- Load the previously saved file as mic correction

- Make sure, that the mic-correction is enabled (MIC: shown in upper right of the display)

- Now the fft shows the difference between the signals. Note: The result is centered arround 0 dB so you might need to adjust the offset/displayare setting(s)

Tomy
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Thomas Neumann
SIM-II Operator
DANTE Level1 certified

Jeffsco

• View Profile
Re: Music Spectrum Analysis as per Ozone 5
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42 »
That's great Tomy...thank you. i figured it was something of that nature but hadn't considered the mic correction file to do it.

Really versatile piece of kit you've created...