Author Topic: Optimizing a Room with Music or while Band plays  (Read 1937 times)

Jeffsco

• View Profile
Optimizing a Room with Music or while Band plays
« on: September 04, 2011, 19:24 »
How would I use SATLive to help dial in a system while the band is playing. Could the Forum elaborate on this? I'm thinking small to medium club size where you either do not have time to do an extensive (or any...)sound check or where you are walking in to fill in on someone else's gear and the EQ that is set for the room needs to be tweaked . Could be pre show break music as well? The thing is ...we need to assume the club is filled with patrons and you can't pink the room without getting yourself fired. Specifically:

1. I'm assuming that you would not be able to do ground plane measurements, multi mic position measurements or be able to leave a Mic out on the dance Floor due to the presence of patrons in the club. So where does the measurement mic get placed in relation to the FOH Speakers? Hung from the ceiling in front of the stack? What about proximity to the ceiling? How far out in front?
2. How is the reference signal routed to SATLive ? Do you take the output of the board before the GEQ? After? Aux send? What criteria do we need to send to SATLive ?
3. Some people advocate sneaking in a bit of Pink noise underneath the music (Recorded break music...not while the band is playing obviously..). How much Pink is required?
4. Can a GEQ for the room be developed from this technique? Will SATLive reliably show me what the differences are between the reference recorded music and what the Mic is picking up? What other optimization parameters can be derived from this approach.

Remember...this is "combat" audio. Not situations where you've had the opportunity to take the speakers outside, or the luxury of hours of un-interrupted , undisturbed optimization time.

TomyN

• Administrator
  • Master of SATlive
    • View Profile
    • SATlive Homepage
Re: Optimizing a Room with Music or while Band plays
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49 »
 :) combat audio 

- The mic should be in the direct sound field of one speaker. Where the mic finally end's up depends on a lot of varibles, and it will never be the place we wanted it to be. So you might hang it from the celing, or you find an other safe place to put the mic to. Keep it out of reach of the crowd.

- Use high amount of averaging, use high amplitude threshold and use RMS averaging (available in the pop-up menu of the averging setup). RMS averaging gets more stable amplitude response, but no phase information.

- Take the reference signal prior to eq. In this case you see the final result, otherwise you'd only get the room/speaker response, which does not change when you change the eq.

- Use your brain and your ears. For example, if the mic's position has to be near the celing, and the speakers are properly aimed towards the crowd, you might get less high frequencies in your measurement.

- Keep in mind that the dual FFT focuses on the information that arrives in a certain range of time. So the measurement might not catch the whole amount of sound coming from the stage. This is a problem, especial in small rooms, where the sound coming from the stage addes a lot to the sound you add via your speakers.

I'm looking for reports from other users (Elias?)

Tomy
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Thomas Neumann
SIM-II Operator
DANTE Level1 certified

Jeffsco

• View Profile
Re: Optimizing a Room with Music or while Band plays
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 17:31 »
Tomy: Could you elaborate on the Averaging...and RMS averaging a bit more? As in ....a mini tutorial on it's use? :D Most of these situations will not allow me to deal with phase issues anyways as most of the crossovers I've seen are analog. They don't have the facility to apply delay to the tops or Subs. Sound from the stage is an issue , especially in small clubs.  But I'm talking about situations where something would be better than nothing.